Are you new to SEO? Do you have no idea how it works and how you can use it to improve your website or business? In this guide, you’re going to find most of what you need to know about SEO for beginners.
What is SEO?
Search engine optimization (SEO) refers to a marketing technique that works to improve a website’s ranking in the search engine results, specifically in the organic or nonpaid results. It involves the use of various creative and technical elements to drive more traffic to the website, improve ranking, and increase people’s awareness.
Some people think that it’s all about stuffing one’s articles with keywords, or linking it with other articles. But it’s a lot more than these. There’s more to SEO than keyword stuffing or putting in links.
Why is SEO important for your website?
As you know, there are billions of websites in the internet today. In your niche alone, there are probably millions that are competing to get your target audience’s attention. If your website is placed in the 10th , 20th , or 100th pages of the search engine results, you can expect that it won’t reach the people you want to reach.
Remember, internet users only get up to the second or third page of the search engine results. Some even only look at page number one. And this is why, you need to use SEO to make sure that you land on top of the results.
Whether you’re selling products or services or providing information, you want people to know that your website exists. You want them to see what you have to offer them, and for them to get something from your website. This will only happen if you use SEO.
How does SEO work?
Here are simple steps an SEO beginner can follow:
- Write a page title – Make sure you get this right. The title should be relevant to the search query that people will use for finding similar content to yours. It should specify what the page is about. It’s best to start with the important keywords.
- Write a meta description – This refers to the small snippet that is placed under the page title. It’s a must to be very clear in your description and to use relevant keywords to land a higher ranking.
- Use H1 tags – An H1 tag is a headline that’s marked in HTML as <h1>. The title and meta description are visible in the search engine results. But the h1 title can be found on the page of your website once a person enters it. Again, it’d be a good idea to use keywords in your H1 tag.
- Insert links – Link your website to trusted websites. For example, if your website features health and wellness articles, then you can cite webMD or Mayo Clinic and insert their links. Google favors websites that use trusted links.
- Interlink within your website – Apart from inserting external links, you should also make it a habit to insert links within your website. This way, your readers can move around easily, and they will stay longer.
SEO is something that you can do yourself. But if you’re having difficulty figuring out how the whole thing works, you can always get help from a professional.